Monday, August 22, 2011

Complete-A-Clock Printable


My son can count by fives, so why is it such a struggle for him to figure out the minutes on an analog clock, I wondered. To help practice telling time and reinforce counting in increments of five around a clock, I created a printable inspired by a wall clock arrangement that Mrs. Lemons posted on her blog, Step Into Second Grade (Isn't that clever?!).
Download a PDF of the Complete-A-Clock template here.

I laminated the Complete-A-Clock printable so my son could write on it with dry-erase markers. (I have a feeling this will get some heavy use throughout the year.)

For our first exercise using the blank clocks, I had my son read Is It Time Yet? by Lesley Jane. (Any children’s book with clocks would work great, such as Jenne Abramowitz’s adaptation of Hickory Dickory Dock or The Clock Struck One by Trudy Harris.) Before I handed over Jane’s book, though, I used small post-it notes to cover the clocks on each of the pages.




As he read sentences like, “Kelly woke up at 8 o’clock …” I had him write the time in the blank digital clock and then draw in the hands on the analog clock above it. When he’d read the whole page and filled in both clocks, he could remove the sticky note in the book to see if he got the time right. He was so excited with every clock he drew right and only made one error doing the whole book (that’s progress, for sure!).

When he has advanced past telling time on the hour and minutes on the fives, I’ll add some marks between each of the numbers and start challenging him with times like 8:23 or 11:47. Hopefully with enough practice, he’ll be ready for this sooner, rather than later.

Only time will tell ...

11 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Thanks for posting at Math Monday!
    Cindy @ love2learn2day

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! I love reading about things like this, so I can be ready with ideas for my children!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, by the way! I have a fun giveaway going on now, if you'd like to check it out!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/uprinting-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I saw this on the linky. We are working on telling time and I have the same issue - DD can count by fives but has trouble telling the time.

    Julie http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and a fun way to introduce telling time! Thank you for linking up to The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the printable, it makes me to cross of something in my to-do list! I was thinking to make the clock template to go with the grouchy ladybug book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the printable! I'm in the same boat with my First Grader and this is going to be PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the printable! You have so many great ideas here...I have been spending some time visiting :)

    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to integrate "Telling Time" with a reading activity.

    Thanks,
    Nitya

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with your blog! Thank you for all these fantastic time resources!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI there is the PDF Template still available as the link didn't work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why the link isn't working. I have the PDF and am happy to email it to you as an attachment. My address is on the ABOUT page. Sorry!

      Delete