Thursday, April 18, 2013

Multiplication BINGO


This is the fourth BINGO game I've made for my son and I can honestly say that the shine hasn't worn off. My boy still loves BINGO and I still love how easy it is for him to learn amazing things by playing it.

When my son's classroom teacher told me he was ready for multiplication and division at the last parent-teacher conference, I took it as my green light to start really challenging him to learn the math facts.

I made six BINGO cards with the answers to a variety of multiplication problems. (Download the game I made here free). I printed them and the problems on card stock, grabbed a multiplication table (in case my son got stuck), and a bowl of cheerios to use as game pieces. We were ready … almost.

When my son got home, we read a great book of multiplication math problems cleverly disguised as children's fiction. My son had loads of fun with Suzanne Slade's book Multiply on the Fly. We whizzed through the book with my son firing off answers to the insect-inspired queries as quickly as the buzzing bugs on the pages within.

Then we got busy playing.

I turned over all the calling cards so the problems were face down and one by one drew them. I was careful to cover the answer with my thumb as I showed him the problems.



If the answer was on our game cards, we placed a cheerio over it.

We got through quite a few problems, and my son only needed to reference the multiplication table once (8 x 8), before he got a diagonal 5-in-a-row and hollered exuberantly, "BINGO!!!!"


He might have won the game, but having made practicing multiplication a riot for my son made ME feel like a winner too.

I love that.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the bingo game. I'm finding lots of goodies on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this. I have been searching for a great Multiplication Bingo game for a long time. This game looks wonderful. My kids will definitely love playing this. Once again, thank you for posting this game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I printed out this game and my 9 year old daughter loves it to help her remember multiplication. But I noticed when we went through all the cards and I still had numbers uncovered (we tried covering all the numbers to win) that there's no 3x3 with 9 or 3x5 at all. Is it possible to add those and I can reprint those two cards? Otherwise I could hand write them but it won't match. Lol. Thanks for a great game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YIKES! Thanks for making me aware of the oversight. I've added the two problems, re-uploaded the revised file to Google Drive, and corrected the links above. Sorry about that!

      Delete
  4. These are great! I'm going to use this game with one of my younger tutoring students :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing. It's very kind of you :)

    ReplyDelete